I don’t know about you but some days are harder than others to hold my thoughts captive. Some days my mind and heart seem like this unguarded pasture where the enemy’s lies and attacks just flood in. Questions, doubt, confusion, insecurity all morph into this thing called stress, anxiety and sometimes even depression. I try within my own strength too often to hold my thoughts captive but I get so weak. This happened just the other night and I heard the Holy Spirit whisper to my inner ear, “You’re not putting on the Helmet of Salvation”. Wow, was it that simple? Then further revelation began to unfold. In the past, I’ve read about the Spiritual Armor of God that we’re supposed to put on but it seemed so muddled to me. As I would dress myself this inner dialogue would happen.
“Alright, I’m putting on the Breastplate of Righteousness. Righteousness. Okay. What does Righteousness really mean, how does it protect my heart and is it referring to His righteousness or mine? Oh I need more righteousness.”
“Okay. Now for the Belt of Truth. Alright the truth is…Jesus is the Son of God and He died for my sins and that holds everything up…like my pants…because otherwise…my pants would fall down?”
Can you tell I’m an over-thinker?
But God unveiled further revelation that simplified, untangled yet strengthened what it means to “put on your Spiritual Armor of God”.
“Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” (Ephesians 6:11-17 NIV)
When we dress ourselves in the Spiritual Armor we are dressing ourselves in Jesus!!!
- Belt of Truth: “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6 NIV) Jesus said, “I am the Truth”. Knowing Jesus is the Truth holds everything up and together!
- Breastplate of Righteousness: “In those days and at that time, I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David’s line; he will do what is just and right in the land.” (Jeremiah 33:15 NIV) Jesus is that righteous Branch that sprouted from David’s line. “And this will be his name: ‘The LORD Is Our Righteousness.’ In that day Judah will be saved, and Israel will live in safety.” (Jeremiah 23:6 NLT) Jesus is indeed our Righteousness that protects our hearts from the deceptive fiery arrows of the enemy.
- Shield of Faith: “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him” (Psalm 28:7) Here it says that the Lord is our shield. “Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:2 NIV) He is the Pioneer and Perfecter of faith! Other translations call Jesus the author, founder, champion and source of faith. He is our shield and the source of our faith!
- Helmet of Salvation: “A psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation–whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life–of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1 NIV) Jesus, our Lord, is our salvation and when we put on that Helmet of Salvation, our mind is protected from, once again, the lies and attacks of the enemy.
- Sword of the Spirit: In Ephesians, it refers to the Sword of the Spirit, the weapon we wield, as the Word of God. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (John 1:1 NIV) “ The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14 NIV) It is revealed here that Jesus is the Word of God wrapped in flesh! So He is our Sword of the Spirit!
This changes everything! A whole new perspective!
When we dress ourselves in the Armor of God that protects us from the enemies attacks from the heavenly realms, we are not relying on ourselves to have enough righteousness or have enough faith or to be enough! The strength of the armor is not dependent on us! All we have to do is remember to dress ourselves in it and stand firm! We are not the source of the armor. He is the source of the Armor and He is our Armor!!! So next time you dress yourself in the Armor of God know that it is as simple as “Dressing yourself in Jesus”. Nothing is getting through that armor!!
Your heart, your mind and your spirit is protected from deception and offense! Our, Lion of Judah, is roaring with strength and has already won the war!
“Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. ” (Revelation 5:5 NIV)